Monday, April 5, 2010

There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Chick

Growing up, one of my favorite books was "I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly." There are so many fun, new versions of this old tale, with the lady swallowing a bat, a pie, a bell, a shell...and for Spring and Easter...she swallows a chick.


Targets
Vocabulary- spring, chick, egg, basket
Sequencing (first, next, last)
Literacy skills
Answering questions

At circle time, we read the book. Actually, it was kindly read for us on a CD :) I love books on tape/CDs because it gives me a chance to feel like I can observe the kids, it gives the kids a chance to read along and, for some reason, the students seem to pay better attention!

During our small group time, we made our own old ladies!
I borrowed this fantastic idea and great pictures from another blog...and I hate when this happens, but I've forgotten which one :( Once I look through my documents, etc, I will be sure to give credit where credit is due!!
We gathered our materials--
copies of the old lady, copies of the items she ate and some glue and crayons.
We went through the book page by page to be sure to put the items on in the correct sequence, reinforcing those important concepts (first, next, then, last).
The students requested each item and had their old ladies eat them. Then, they also glued on their bunnies and baskets. They requested crayons to color, too, if we didn't run out of time!

Such a fun activity to bring the book to life!!
Another concept to focus on, especially with older kids, is "why" questions, like "why did she swallow the candy?" answer--"to sweeten the egg!" Of course, we don't know why she swallowed the chick, but at least she didn't get sick!!
.

StumbleUpon.com

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of filling up the Old Lady's tummy with pictures from the story to practice sequencing! I used to be a first grade teacher, and now I'm home with my 2 sons. But I'm going to file this idea away for when I go back to the classroom. (Actually, I could do it with my older son, now!)

    Anyway, tonight I was reading a bedtime story to my son, and the book made me think of you and your class! It's called "For Everyone to Share" by Gillian Lobel. The ISBN-13 number is:

    The reason I thought of you is because you're always emphasizing the vocabulary that goes with your unit. And that's the whole basis for this book! A little mouse ventures out of the nest for the first time and discovers spring. He keeps asking the creatures that he meets, "What is this?!" Words he learns are bee, flower, sun, sky, butterfly, birds, etc. And he keeps rehearsing them to himself, because he's so pleased that he knows what the beautiful things are.

    Excerpt: "Who are you?" cried Little Mouse. "Please tell me your name!" The furry creature buzzed even louder. "I'm a bee, Little Mouse!" And he flew away and... landed on something yellow and shining. "Don't go,"squeaked Little Mouse. "Please tell me what you're sitting on!" "This is a flower, Little Mouse," buzzed the bee. And he climbed right into the heart of the flower to sip his breakfast. "Bee, flower," murmured Little Mouse. "What a wonderful place this is!"

    It's very reinforcing, and you could point to the items and have the children supply the names as Little Mouse is remembering them or telling his mother about them.

    Just thought I'd share!

    sibleyweb.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, sorry, forgot to go back and fill in the ISBN number: 978-0-545-02217-0

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Laurie! I love being introduced to new books :)

    ReplyDelete